Thursday, March 8, 2007

It's like a boat.

Part of me wants to own and run a restaurant or wine bar type place. But another part of me knows how hard the work would be. This is what kept me from jumping into the food culture years ago. I want to enjoy dining with friends and family on the weekends when my husband is available.

I know I don't want to own a boat. My father owned a boat while I grew up. I spent every other weekend on that boat with my dad, his wife, her two kids and my sister. We didn't want to go, we had to go. And there was lots of hauling of stuff from here to there and maintenance on the boat, constant work. But I like to sail. Later in life I've had the opportunity to sail with others on their boats. I have to say , this is the way to go! No commitment, just a day of sailing.

So you see where I'm going with this? I've learned it's good to have a friend with a boat. It's also good to have a friend with a restaurant. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Our friends Joe and Karla are opening a bakery and restaurant in NorCal in just a few months. They came over for dinner last week (see Beef Short Rib recipe) and gave us details and now we're really excited for them. We can't wait to check it out. We wish them the best. They've offered to let me come up and cook. What can be better than a friend with a restaurant?

No comments: