Monday, March 26, 2007

My Adobo Wings

Every once in a while, I crave Adobo. If you haven't had pork or chicken Adobo you've missed out on a fabulous Filipino treat. It's a simple preparation that melds a few great flavors into one new taste sensation.
Basically Adobo is soy sauce, vinegar and garlic. There are many variations, but they all have at least these three ingredients. I always look around online and find a few recipes and then just make up my own.
Yesterday I had the craving for salty vinegar flavor and decided to whip up a batch of my Adobo Chicken wings. Bruce prefers his Adobo with a bit of sugar in it, leaning more towards a Teriyaki flavor, so I added 1/2C sugar and 1/2C water to the mix. I also used spicy chile vinegar instead of just white vinegar. Bay leaves are another often added ingredient and I used those too. Here's the recipe if you too have the salty/sour craving:


Vickie's Adobo Chicken Wings
Serves 4 as an appetizer, 2 as an entree
Ingredients
8 chicken wings
1 C soy sauce
1 C white vinegar
1/2 C water
1/2 C sugar
10 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
3 bay leaves
pinch of red chile flakes (optional)
Method
Preheat oven to 400F.
Rinse the chicken wings well under cold water and then put them in a saute pan that can hold them all without much overlapping.
Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and keep the pan simmering. Cook for about 15 minutes until they are cooked through, turning them over in the sauce a few times.
Lightly oil a shallow baking dish. Remove the wings from the sauce and put on the baking dish.
Place the baking dish in the upper third of the oven and bake until they begin to crisp up (about 10-15 minutes).
Serve!
Yum.

No comments: